Youth Day Camps
4 days of fun with River Rafting, Hiking and Fly Fishing, with a focus on ecology, geology, hydrology, and social history of the Weber River area between Echo, Henefer, and Morgan.
Youth Summer Day Camp
“Life on the Weber River” Summer Youth Day Camp has received rave reviews from kids and parents alike! This active and engaging 4-day outdoor program inspires children with a love for river rafting, as well as an appreciation for the animals and plants, and the social and geological history of this majestic canyon land and river system.
Destination Sports is an experienced outfitter that is licensed through Utah State Parks. Our Weber River Adventures day camps are for youth ages 7 – 14. Children will be grouped by age. The older kids, age 12-14 will have youth leadership opportunities. This is an excellent opportunity for your child to experience adventure and learning in nature, away from the normal hustle and bustle of city life.
PRICING: $400 for 4 fun-filled days
INCLUDED: We will provide all the gear needed, including rafts, paddles, life jackets, and transportation to all activities within the day camp itinerary. We will have drinking water available to refill bottles. Restrooms are available off-and-on throughout the day.
All of our river guides are certified in First Aid and CPR. Our lead instructors and guides are expert naturalists, and many are employed during the school year as public and private Utah school teachers and ski instructors.
WHEN: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each of the 4 days, Monday – Thursday.
DATES: June 20 – 23, 2020
DAY CAMP ACTIVITIES LOCATIONS: Destination Sports main base camp is in Henefer. We have exclusive access to private riparian and upland properties in Morgan, Henefer and Echo. We will also visit public trails and historical markers around these areas. We will be paddle rafting on the Weber River each day on different stretches between Echo, Henefer, and Morgan.
Day Camp Itinerary
– Nature Hike along the riparian corridor of the Weber River and to an upland vista with a bird’s eye views in all directions, including Echo Canyon, Echo Reservoir, Henefer Valley, and Weber Canyon
– Easy, introductory half-day river rafting from Echo to Henefer , through the Henefer Valley.
– Learning topics include native flora and fauna, river ecology, geology, and river rafting 101.
– Fishing and flat-water kayaking at East Canyon or Echo Reservoir
– Half-day of river rafting from Henefer to Taggart
– Social history of Henefer Valley and Echo Canyon and Echo Creek, including Native Tribes’ Seasonal Passage, the Pony Express Trail, the California Trail, and the Mormon Pioneer Trail. We will do an auto tour with easy hikes to places of interest and historical markers.
– Half-day of river rafting from Taggart to Morgan
-A full day of river rafting from Echo to Taggart, with Junior River Guide Training.
-Midway through the rafting trip, we will stop at our Base Camp in Henefer for lunch.
*We may switch some activities around, based on current weather conditions.
WHAT TO BRING EACH DAY to stay nourished and hydrated, protect from sunburn, and stay warm and comfortable:
- Box lunch
- hard sided to protect from getting smashed in the cooler
- Backpack containing the following items
- Snacks for mid-morning and mid-afternoon refueling breaks
- Reusable water bottle, filled
- we will supply water for refills
- Quick-dry long pants and long sleeves
- Hat with brim
- Fleece jacket and rain jacket on cool or rainy days
- Change of warm and dry clothes, socks, and shoes
- Closed-toe water sandals and comfortable hiking shoes with socks. Your child’s feet will get wet and dirty. Keen water sandals are recommended, but even old tennis shoes are acceptable for all activities.
Other things I need to know:
Please let us know if your child has any allergies or medical concerns.
We support the opportunity for all to have access to our camp, including those with cognitive and physical differences. Please contact us to discuss how we may support your child.